Walt told his own coming out story in the Los Angeles Times.
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette regularly publishes Walt’s freelance work.
A sampling over the years…
- Aboard the USS Somerset, daily inspiration from Flight 93
- The Orlando Nightclub Shooting
- Johnstown Flood Tours with a Personal Touch
- Dr. Ben Carson and that Hold-up at Popeye’s
- Gov. Tom Corbett
- Where is Pittsburgh?
- New words
- Gay marriage
- Student athletes
- The King of Pain: Bill Lerach
- The California recall election
- Six Degrees of Gettysburg
- A great teacher
- And his profile of San Diego Mayor Bob Filnerwas referenced in the San Diego U-T
He’s also written for the Huffington Post:
- It’s Time to Move Thanksgiving
- Pennsylvania Needs a Hate Crimes Law
- Love Conquers Hate in Do-Over Wedding
- Walt’s essay on White Privilege went viral
- They’re Coming for Me….my fear of Donald Trump
For the Good Men Project, Walt wrote a piece on How to Coruscate.
And the LGBT Weekly:
- Time to take skin cancer seriously
- The San Diego LGBT Community Center: San Diego’s ‘gay city hall’ is busier than ever
Walt was in Inspiration of the Day on Inspire Me Today for Valentine’s Day.
For The Real Us, Walt was asked to write a story of a random act of kindness.
The Gay San Diego newspaper regularly runs his articles as well:
- San Diego Multicultural LGBT Literary Foundation.
- Gay For Good’s Helping to Build the San Salvador.
- Death of an Empress
- Good Night, Citizen Kurt
- Actor Leslie Jordan
- Comedian/writer Del Shores
- An Historic House is Threatened
- Alan Turing’s Nephew Speaks about his Famous Uncle
Walt wrote several pieces for Kiplinger’s Personal Finance, only two of which are still in their archives.
Walt was a regular contributor to Out Magazine.
- A 13-year-old’s coming out story
- The difference between real Pittsburgh and the way it was depicted on the ground-breaking TV series Queer As Folk
- Clan Blue Feather, the gay wing of the SCA
- The gay side of San Diego’s Comic-Con
- Gay wrestler Terrance Griep
Walt wrote his experiences on the game show Jeopardy! for the Pittsburgh Press, unfortunately the paper went out of business. He had also written for a number of other extinct magazines including Pittsburgher, Hero, Xodus, and Baja Explorer. He wrote a number of pieces for the last only one of which is preserved on line on page 10 of this journal.
He has also written for many other publications who do not have free archives on line, including Orange County Register, Portland Oregonian, Westways, Penn Stater, Orange Coast, many stories for the major gay magazine, Advocate, as well as many other smaller periodicals. Walt has been a regular contributor to Blade Magazine and Rage Magazine, but their online archives are not easily accessed.
East County Magazine has published numerous articles by Walt on a variety of topics.
- An innovative class.
- A green energy expert lecturing at a high school
- A review of the book “Out”
- A review of the book “Paradise Plundered”
- A review of the book “The Monogamy Gap”
- A review of a book about workplace bullying, “Back off!”
- A Lost Manuscript is Published Decades Later
An article Walt wrote about sea cucumbers for the now-defunct Baja Explorer magazine can be found here.